Monday 19 May 2014

Goldilocks and the Three Phones: Which One is Just Right? @SamsungCanada #Tech #WorthTheRead

Which Samsung SmartPhone is Just Right For Me: Samsung Galaxy S4, Mega or Note3?


I think we can all relate to feeling lost in the Tech-device Forest of smartphones, and features.

We need breadcrumbs of information to help us find our way through the facts and the fiction. Like most people I'm not a tech expert. Fact is, I can barely keep up with the names of all the new devices, apps, social media platforms, far less what they do. Plus, there are all the updates and changes to existing ones. 


Picking out a new phone is a big decision. Gone are the days of "Do you want a flip phone?", and "What colour do you want?". 


Phones are expensive investments, and like other investments, require that we do some basic research, before we spend our hard earned money. A list of wants, and needs is a good place to start. Ask yourself questions, that help you figure out what you want to use your phone for: camera, texting, social media, emails? Do you like a keyboard, or stylus? Does it need to be rugged to stand up to your work or sports you play? What additional accessories might add to the cost of the phone? Answers to these questions will definitely impact which phone you will want to choose for yourself.

I'm a fan of Samsung but even within that brands I find I have distinct preferences. 

They are all great phones, but there was one I much preferred over the others. This was not so much to do with the price points, none are inexpensive phones, but I realized I needed a larger screen to read. It's a fact of life, my eyesight is not as good as it used to be. I also realized I love a stylus and this is a worthwhile investment for me, but may not be for someone else. For my Husband the Rugby is water resistant, and has a built in case that keeps the dust out. For him this is important, and luckily the Samsung Galaxy S5 will make a great update when the time comes. 

Where do you find the information you need to know, in order to make the right decision for yourself? 

There are several sources to find this information, and when combined prove to be very helpful. Brand websites give you information about what devices are available and their specs. I start with brands I think might be of interest, in this case Samsung Canada - Mobile . Brands are also great at creating content and tutorials to help you maximize your device experience. Stores such as Future Shop Canada that sell phones and services, often have staff who are knowledgeable and tech enthusiasts. Service providers, such as TELUS can help you calculate the total cost of the phone including your service requirements. Many providers have in-store programs available by appointment to learn more about your services and devices. In general they are free and worth taking advantage of.

For some honest feedback, reviews and to learn what those "specs" actually mean, 

I've found Mobile Syrup which is a Canadian resource, and Techno Buffalo  which is out of the US  always have excellent product information and honest reviews of a product they have actually tested. 
These are just two of a long list of excellent review sites. 

For general Canadian Tech information that is up to date and relevant follow  TechVibes

Good luck finding the phone that is "just right" for you. The reviews, and tutorials are worth the read to find out how your smart phone can help you make smart use of your valuable time. 

Yep, just me Cathy thinking out loud about what's worth the read.

Note: I was not compensated for this post in any way. All opinions are my own, and the purpose of this post is merely to share with my readers information or links I think they might find of interest.

No comments :

Post a Comment