Wednesday 31 August 2016

Family Dinner with @BostonPizza #BPKidsCards: Perfect Teachable Moment

Food for Thought: Making a family dinner about more than food. 



We all know how important eating together as a family is, but you'll really raise the bar on the impact sharing a meal together as a family can have by purchasing a Boston Pizza Kids Card for a minimum donation of $5. starting now until October 2nd, 2016. 

With a single $5. donation you create a teachable moment, help kids in need by supporting mentorship opportunities, and get 5 free* Boston Pizza kids meals. 


As my boys head to college and university this September, I reflect on the efforts it took to get to this point, and the resources my husband and I invested to help get them here. They've benefited from close and engaged relationships with their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, and have no shortage of impressive role models and mentors in their family to choose from. I think about the importance of youth having people in their lives to teach, guide and model positive behaviour, and just how lucky my kids are. 

Sadly this isn't the case for all kids. Not everyone grows up with access to role models. mentors, mentoring programs, and financial resources to help navigate life's challenges and choices. This is why the Boston Pizza Kids Card Campaign is so important. For a minimum of a $5. donation (available now - Oct 2, 2016) you can purchase #BPKidsCards to help ensure many more kids in Canada get support and access to role models and mentoring programs. Each $5. BPKids Card purchased provides an hour with a role model for a child in need. 

Plus your Boston Pizza Kids Card gets you 5 free* meals. That's a $35. value! If you register your BP Kids Card with a MyBP account you'll get another free kids meal, making it 6 free* meals for $5.

By involving your child in the process of purchasing a BP Kids Card you have an opportunity to teach them how this donation helps the Boston Pizza Foundation Future Prospects to provide more than 200, 000 hours of mentorship to Canadian children and youth. It's an opportunity to teach them about giving back, charity and about the incredible organizations who partner with Boston Pizza Foundation Future Prospects and together provide support, role models and mentorship programs to kids who would otherwise have none.


For more than 25 years Boston Pizza Foundation Future Prospects has raised more than $22 million and partnered with organizations and charities such as: 
  • Big Brother Big Sister Canada: Helps 1000's of youth with mentoring programs and the funds raised help them "extend and expand mentoring services to new communities and youth who do not currently have access to mentoring programs".
  • JDRF Canada: BP Kids Cards help to fund "youth ambassador programs which provide mentorship to young people living with T1D (Type 1 diabetes).
  • Kids Help Phone: Donations help to fund their "national professional counselling services" to youth as well as "adult tools and resources and online content on their website".
  • Live Different: Funds help Live Different to deliver high school motivational presentations to inspire youth to "embrace a lifestyle that cares about people not stuff".
  • Rick Hansen Foundation: The Boston Pizza Foundation helps the Rick Hansen Foundation spread the message of inclusion and reach more than 500,000 kids across Canada each year with its Rick Hansen School Programs. 

All this for just a $5 donation! So while you and your family gather for a delicious meal at Boston Pizza think of all this meal means to you, your kids, your community and the kids you've helped to reach their goals for a bright future. 

Bon appetit!

Yep, just me Cathy thinking out loud about Boston Pizza Kids Cards.


For more information about the Boston Pizza Foundation Future Prospects and BP Kids Cards follow Boston Pizza on twitter and facebook, and Boston Pizza Foundation on twitter and facebook

*Some conditions apply
Note: I have been compensated for my time creating this post. All opinions are my own and on a personal note I have in the past and will continue to support Boston Pizza and Boston Pizza Foundation Future Prospects in their efforts to give back to the community. I consider it an honour to participate in this campaign.

47 comments :

  1. The closest Boston Pizza is
    Centre on Barton
    1219 Barton Street East
    Hamilton, ON, L8H 2V4

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kids have strong role models that inspire them to be great and they have the guidance necessary to support their bright futures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can teach them about giving back, charity and being part of contributing to helping others

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can buy a Boston Pizza Kids card at Front & John in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The card could teach them to imagine where their donation would go and what it may provide.
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. there is a Boston Pizza on Millstream that I can get a card
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found out that the Executive Director is Jim's daughter
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could teach them that hard work pays off by taking them to Boston Pizza after getting good grades.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our closest location is;

    1565 Upper James Street
    Hamilton, ON, L9B 1K2
    4 KM Away

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned that Boston Pizza was established in 1990. I can't find any other partnerships other than the 5 you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would teach them about donation and charity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The closest Boston Pizza is 5km away from my home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Big Brothers Big Sisters provides mentors to over 40,000 children in over 1,000 communities. This donation is enabling Big Brothers Big Sisters to develop and implement mentoring programs in communities not previously reached.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You could use it to teach them how to pay it forward in life. Get them to make the $5 donation to get their card and explain to them where their money is going too. (Judy Cowan)

    ReplyDelete

  15. London NW
    1275 Fanshawe Park Road West, Buiding E
    London, ON, N6G 5B4

    (Judy Cowan)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you mention all the partnership, I can't seem to find any others listed. I learned from a link to their FB page that Live Different recently did a housing build in the Dominican Republic. (Judy Cowan)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would use it to show the donation provides an hour of mentoring to someone in need. I would explain why this was important to children who do not have this available in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The closest BP to me is
    North Vancouver
    1078 Marine Drive
    North Vancouver, BC, V7P 1S5

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that Boston Pizza has made eating out a teachable moment. Anything that involves good food, time with family and charity is tops in my book.

    The closest Boston Pizza to me is in Barrhaven and I have been there with you several times.

    Besos Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would teach them how to donate to others in need.
    Florence C

    ReplyDelete
  21. I could purchase them at Kelsey Drive Location, St. John's, NL which is 8 KM away.
    Florence C

    ReplyDelete
  22. Boston Pizza believes that strong role models inspire kids to be great.
    Florence C

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would teach them why it's so important to contribute to great causes

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Colsest Boston pizza to us is about 15 km away, the other side of town for us

    ReplyDelete
  25. I learnt that they have donated over 22 million so far one of their partners are kids help phone, I love this one because I think it's great to have a dedicated line for children who need help and don't know who to turn to

    ReplyDelete
  26. A location near me is Allen Road
    180 Rimrock Road
    North York, ON, M3J 3A6

    ReplyDelete
  27. I could teach them about how donating money or time can make a difference in someones life.

    ReplyDelete
  28. the closest location to me would be on Walker road in Windsor ON

    ReplyDelete
  29. Over the past 21 years, Boston Pizza Foundation has donated over $3.1 million to Kids Help Phone. BPF Future Prospects currently works with Kids Help Phone and is excited to announce a new and enhanced commitment to this very vital service to support kids and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can buy a kids card at the Glendale ave location in St Catharines

    ReplyDelete
  31. I learned that the head office is located in Vancouver, I thought it was in Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd explain to my niece how her meals help other kids. I would teach her about it every time we went and enjoyed a meal with her Boston Pizza Kids Card. I think after 5 visits and 5 chances to talk about it she would understand how much helping others can make a difference! You never know which parts of what you teach them are going to stick. It could be a small lesson that sticks with her forever.

    ReplyDelete
  33. There is a location in my city about 20 minutes from me that I could purchase a Boston Pizza Kids Card!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm happy to see that they're partnered with big brothers big sisters. They've committed to donating an amazing amount to a great cause. There's a location around the corner from me so it's nice to see a cause in my community getting a little support. It looks like they've picked great partners to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Since my little guy has no dad or any male influence in his life I can tach him about boys and girls clubs and how other people can fill a missing piece .

    ReplyDelete
  36. The closest one to get a kids club card would be in Woodstock

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow they gave 22 million dollars so far to all the charities you mentioned in your post

    ReplyDelete
  38. purchasing a card, helps my children to learn to share and that giving will times benefit them also

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would teach them about donations and to pay it forward

    ReplyDelete
  40. The closest BP to me is
    Midland
    16835 Heritage Drive
    Midland, ON, L4R 0A9

    ReplyDelete
  41. I learned that Boston Pizza was established in 1990

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a great way to teach your children to pass it forward. That is what I have tried to teach my children.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Boston Pizza in Grimsby is where I buy my Boston Pizza Kids cards for my grandchildren. Our favourite place.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Boston Pizza in Grimsby is where I buy my Boston Pizza Kids Cards for my grandchildren

    ReplyDelete
  45. I could purchase a Boston Pizza Kid's card at the location on Rimrock in North York.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I would teach children about making a donation and giving back to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I learned that Boston Pizza values how important positive role models and mentors are in a young person’s ability to reach their dreams.

    ReplyDelete