Thursday 30 January 2014

Grow Your #Vocabulary: This post has been brought to you by the Letter D

Three sets of words commonly misused and confused.
Diffuse: To pour out and cause to spread freely. To spread about or scatter, disseminate. via The Free Dictionary
vs
Defuse: To remove the fuse from (an explosive device). To make less dangerous, tense, or hostile. via The Free Dictionary

Discreet: Marked by, exercising, or showing prudence and wise self-restraint in speech and behavior, circumspect. Free from ostentation or pretension, modest. via The Free Dictionary
vs
Discrete: Constituting a separate thing. Consisting of unconnected distinct parts. via The Free Dictionary

Descendant: A person, animal or plant whose descent can be traced to a particular individual or group. Something derived from a prototype, or earlier form. via The Free Dictionary
vs
Descendent: Moving downward, descending. Proceeding by descent from an ancestor. via The Free Dictionary

Yep, just me Cathy thinking out loud about the letter "D".

3 comments :

  1. I enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you come up with these words. I just spent 10 minutes and did 43 google searches and couldn't come up with another one. Looking forward to "E" and hope that it includes "effect and "affect". Gets me every time.

    A fun meme. Thanks for sharing.

    Besos, Sarah
    Blogger at Journeys of The Zoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It takes me a while to collect ones that are good and 3 of each letter. But I think these are helpful posts, at least for me since I learn so much looking up all the definitions and uses or the words. Agree I I have to think about effect and affect every time.

      Delete