Monday 2 May 2016

YOW - PHL - MAD: @BesideU_Canada Backpack's International #Travel


MY Beside-U Minneapolis Backpack Goes On A Travel Adventure.


Madrid MAD - Philadelphia PHL - Boston BOS - Ottawa YOW 

4 Airports - 4 Cities - 2 Airlines - 5 Flights - 3 Hotels


But wait ... I did say MY backpack. So how did it manage to go with Thing 2 to Spain? Good question! The story goes something like this: The door bell rings ... Me: "Oh look my Beside U Minneapolis Backpack has arrived!" Thing 2: "Thanks, mine now!" and runs away. He immediately packs it with all his school notes, laptop, tablet and textbooks, then quickly hides it in his room. For the next month I only catch quick glimpses of MY backpack as he walks out the door for school, until we drop him (and it) at the airport for his trip to Spain. His first solo trip abroad, without one of his parents. I admit I was a bit nervous about this trip, and all the things that might go wrong.


The RFID guarded pocket in MY backpack reduced my worry about Thing 2's debit card information being scanned and stolen. The RFID guarded pocket is big enough to easily hold his wallet and passport.  This was important since he had only taken a limited amount of cash and his debit card was his only way to access the rest of his funds. 



MY backpack was perfect as a carry-on, being lightweight, with lots of compartments and pockets Thing 2 easily organized all the items he'd need for his trip and to keep up on his school work while travelling. It has a separate pocket for his laptop and his tablet, and still room for his camera, snacks, water bottle, and a travel blanket. Being organized means he's less likely to lose or forget items along the way. Just saying ... in my experience teens aren't always the best at keeping track of their stuff, so any help they can get is a good thing.



Once there he could load MY backpack up with all the items he needed for the day: Hat, camera, phone, jacket, sunscreen, sunglasses ... or in the words of Thing 2.

  • "It's smallish (that's a good thing) and has separate pouch for laptop and tablet. It's lightweight and I can fit all my stuff in it." 
  • "I like the style, it's plain (or understated, also a good thing) and not too busy, but still looks good." 
  • "You can tell thought went into both the exterior and interior design, and the quality." 
My brain auto-translates everything Thing 2 says into Mom speak, so I actually heard this: 
  • Nice simple design that incorporates lots of compartments without looking too busy.
  • It has a strong, light-weight water-resistant exterior.
  • I like all the pockets and compartments, including two large exterior pockets each with a smaller zipped compartment on the pocket flaps, that makes staying organized easy.
  • Separate interior sleeves to protect a laptop (up to 15 inches) and a tablet. Finally somewhere to put a tablet.
  • Interior RFID guarded zipped pocket large enough to fit a wallet, to protect against identity theft, and blocks RFID signals from being unknowingly scanned.
  • Padded adjustable straps and top carrying handle.


Lightweight, just the right size and oh so stylish. 
Just look how it strikes a pose all over Madrid! 

Check out this sweet ride! 




Found some great bars in Madrid - and by bars I mean bars on this fence. 


Me and this great view! We look Marvellous! 


Just hanging out taking in the street culture in Madrid. 


I love my son but trying to get him to articulate what he liked about this backpack is an exercise in frustration. Thing 2 is a man of few words, but his actions speak volumes. He took this backpack almost three months ago and has used it continually since then, for school, night school, on weekends when he's out with his friends, and yes to Madrid and back. I originally chose this style for a conference I attended in April, but I probably could have predicted it being confiscated by Thing 2 when I chose it. He was beside me giving unsolicited opinions on which backpack I should choose.

It was good advice because this style is very versatile, well suited to multiple purposes, and appeals to both genders and across generations. Like Mother - Like Son: We both had a hard time deciding which of the many great Beside U Canada products to pick, we both were impressed with how fast it was delivered, we were both impressed with the design and quality of the Minneapolis backpack and both Mother and Son give it two thumbs up.

Stay up to date on all Beside U Canada products at their website, and on twitter and facebook.

Yep, just me Cathy thinking out loud about MY Beside U Canada backpack. 

Note: I received a BesideU Canada Minneapolis Backpack for the purpose of this and my Ode to My Minneapolis Backpack post. All opinions are my own and reflect my personal experience with the brand and product. 

58 comments :

  1. I would choose the Avery (RFID) handbag because it's my favorite color and it would look adorable by my side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would probably choose the Juliana bag because the straps will allow me to keep my hands free, plus I can keep emergency supplies or my purse in the bag while out shopping or hiking

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would choose the BRIDPORT/ BTI-24 in Char Purple as it would be perfect to use for work and everyday use
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would probably choose the AUBREY handbag. I love the blackberry wine colour and looks roomy for all my things!Really need to update and replace my current handbag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would pick the Leanna bag because it would fit in to my everyday life. Its large enough to hold all the stuff I carry around.And it would look good with my style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would pick the PAOLA (RFID) bag because its the perfect travel bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I work in IT and know how RFID technology works. That's why I would pick the Paola (RFID) bag, as we travel several times a year and airports are hotspots for data theft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I WILL PICK THE PAOLA BAG BECAUSE OF THE GREAT FEATURES

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes have heard of the RFID bags. i like the Avery (RFID), it is light weight and nice to know my belongings are safer, great for travelling with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to win Luisa - it looks to be a great size for travelling and protects my information from RFID.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would choose the Sophia bag because it is the right size for a cross-body, it would fit everything but would not be too big.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would pick the Juliana bag as it looks perfect for every day use & it features a RFID pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would pick the Steph bag but I'm torn between the Zinc Grey or Blackberry Wine colours. I like that this bag looks modern and stylish but also practical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would pick the Lindsey (RFID) because I love the style and the gray colour option

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the Breonna because Its so pretty! And would go with my other ones

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would pick the Avery in the black. I need a new crossbody bag and I like the style of this one, would work perfect for me. (Judy Cowan)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would pick the Harlow as it would be perfect to use as a carry on for travelling.

    billiondollarprincesss @hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would pick the Madison in the Blackberry Wine. This would be great for when we are camping and hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes have heard of the RFID bags and the Avery bag would suit me the best! (Judy Cowan)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would pick the Isabel in red cordavan (gorgeous color). I would pick this bag as I love the style, size, and all the compartments. I also love that it is lightweight.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had not heard about RFID bags. This is fantastic! So must identity theft fraudulent acts these days. I would choose the Avery RFID bag. I love the color Tawny Red Port and I am thrilled about the RFID feature. I think this would be great for shopping big malls and travelling. Thanks for the info about RFID bags, great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would pick the Juliana because I like the multi-compartments it has and it would be perfect for my everyday bag.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I choose the Basildon because I need something for overnight travel with my laptop which is a bit roomier than most bags. It also has padding for the laptop to protect it which is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would choose the Steph travel bag because I am going on a trip next month and would love to have a beautiful bag like this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. No I have never heard of RFID!!! The guaranteed zip pocket is VERY neat!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wanted their Indianapolis backpack ever since I first learned about this company. I know, it's over $100 limit... :( but maybe it'll go on sale by the time I win :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the Davies messenger bag for the style and look! and it's the perfect size for me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like the Deasia in Pink Rose. I think it's a beautiful colour for summer and all the storage and pockets are great but it's small enough to travel with. Incredible prize for the lucky winner! Many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. ouf there are so nice bags, perhaps I would choose the Sophia as it looks nice, I can wear it across which is convenient with my two young ones and it's big enough to put a diaper & wipes

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would choose the Jolie because it's cute and has lots of room for all my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'd pick the Gracie. It's stylish and I find crossbody bags are the most convenient for travel. http://www.beside-u.ca/product-p/bto63r.htm

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd pick the Mya (RFID)in black, I do travel a bit and this would be ideal for that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes, I do know about the RFID and think it's super and I learnt from them that if it isn't actually part of the bag you choose they supply an extra little wallet-like part that does have RFID. A win win situation.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'd get the Juliana bag, I think - it would fit in the stroller alongside the diaper bag.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Debbie White Beattie24 May 2016 at 00:42

    I would love the Ruthin bag

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was not familiar with RFID until recently - I like the Juliana bag as it's perfect for every day use and travel

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like the Beside U Canada RFID Madison guarded bag in Blackberry Wine because it is stylish and modern and also protects my personal information! What more could one ask for in a bag? Amazing feature that we should all be using to protect ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Second comment submitted about RFID, I mistakenly thought all of the travel bags came standard with the technology. I like the Westlake BesideU RFID guarded bag in Jester Red. It isn't bulky like tradition backpacks yet still has lots of storage and compartments for traveling. I also like the zipper top closure to keep my belongings safe and secure and the tablet sleeve because I usually travel with my iPad. Many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would love the Grantham in black. I am travelling up to see the grand kids & this one would be perfect with all the zippier pockets that close!

    ReplyDelete
  40. If I won, I would choose the Lindsey RFID because it is stylish and has many pockets. I also like that it has RFID

    ReplyDelete
  41. Debbie White Beattie25 May 2016 at 05:25

    I love the Cherie backpack

    ReplyDelete
  42. I would pick the LUisa, it would be great for travelling, deep bag, with zippers for your important documents

    ReplyDelete
  43. I would pick the kaylin it's a backpack so I can have my hands free to grab my toddler. I love for girly it is too

    ReplyDelete
  44. I like the BRIDPORT/ BTI-24 in Char Purple. It would be perfect for my daughter going back to school

    ReplyDelete
  45. I would pick the Luisa because it is good for travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I would love the Juliana bag, straps are perfect for hand free exploration

    ReplyDelete
  47. I have heard about it before but didn't know too much about it. now that I do, I would do what i can to keep my things protected. The Mya bag because we go on lots of hikes and that would make sure I can fit all the necessities

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love the Indianapolis backpack for it's size and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I would pick Aubrey in Blackberry wine because I love that style of purse to keep me stylish and organized.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I like the Andover in Brindle Grey because it would be versatile & stylish for all things-- casual outings, work and travel! It's a beautiful color & would look sharp with a lot of my outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  51. If I won I would likely pick Avery in Blackberry Wine cause I love that's its a Crossbody style which is great for travelling to keep it safe.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I like the Avery (RFID) bag because of the crossbody style.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I like BASILDON / BNU-18 - because the style would work well for me with work items

    ReplyDelete
  54. I would pick the Leanna handbag as I like the size, neither too big or too small.

    ReplyDelete
  55. If I won I would love the Julianna in black as I could use a really good bag and this one is so stylish and lightweight

    ReplyDelete
  56. I would pick the Lena Traveller one http://www.beside-u.ca/product-p/bto61.html
    I would grab this one because of how perfect it is to carry the essentials only while out on day trips and the like

    ReplyDelete
  57. I think I would pick the Bridport bag because it would be big enough to fit my tablet or a netbook.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I would love the Mya (RFID) in ink blue. It would be perfect for me as I always on the go.

    ReplyDelete